Tips for Year-End Giving
- For tax savings in 2023, you need to make your gift by December 31, which this year falls on a Sunday. Checks sent by mail need to have a December 30 postmark. Our address: Triangle Land Conservancy, PO Box 1848, Durham, NC 27702.
- TLC’s Tax Identification Number: 58-1514406
- Gifts given online can be completed on December 31.
- Donor Advised Funds – you will want to initiate gifts from your DAF by early December if you want TLC to receive your gift by year-end. Because donors have already received the tax benefit for these funds, we encourage you to give generously to all charities from them, especially this year when so many nonprofits have experienced significant inflation pressures and increased operating costs.
- If you are 70½ and older, charitable gifts from your IRA may be advisable. Congress allows individuals to give up to $100,000 from their required distributions tax-free to charity. Charitable IRA gifts bypass taxes and also count toward your minimum required distribution.
- Giving stock or securities with increased value may provide greater tax savings than cash. Here’s the information you need to give stocks or securities to TLC. These must be requested by December 26th to count in the 2023 tax year.
- Gifts through wills, trusts, insurance policies, retirement plans, and other long-range financial plans all can be ways to support your charitable interests, including TLC. We’ve partnered with FreeWill to make planned giving easier than ever and completely free. Visit FreeWill.com/TriangleLand to get started today. If you would like to set up a time to discuss other planned giving options, please contact Christine Wilson, Director of Advancement.
- Don’t forget “matching gifts” from your employer, which can double and, in some cases, triple the value of your gift.
- Additional ways to support TLC include: signing up as a TLC Steward, or monthly donor, gifting a TLC membership to the land-lover in your life, or you can check out our Other Ways to Give page for more options.
- Ask your financial advisors which methods of giving are best for you.
Your support sets the pace for land conservation across our region. Many important landscapes are on the line, and development in the Triangle is quickening. By prioritizing a gift to TLC, you demonstrate the importance of preserving open space, safeguarding access to clean drinking water, conserving family farms, and stewardship of wild places for recreation and contemplation. Your gift is a gift to the community. Thank you for generously supporting the protection of our natural resources in the places you love today and for future generations.