While it may not have its own symbol like the easter bunny, santa claus, or even a chubby little cupid, we think National Land Trust Day is great event to celebrate, especially, if you love the outdoors, clean water, and fresh food!
Land Trusts: Finding Solitude, Safety in Conserved Spaces from Our State Magazine on Vimeo.
We've got plenty of ways you can help us celebrate National Land Trust Day tomorrow, Saturday June 6th:
- Join us for a hike! TLC Communications Manager Diana is leading a hike at TLC's Swift Creek Bluffs Nature Preserve starting at 1pm. It's a short 2-mile hike with plenty to see. Register for free here.
- Shop till you drop! Great Outdoor Provision Company (GOPC) is donating 10% of their sales tomorrow to land trusts, including TLC. They have two stores in the Triangle. And, if you purchase two pairs of SmartWool socks designed by modernist artist Charley Harper, you get a matching tumbler as a gift!
- Party hard! This year in Cameron Village, GOPC is hosting a Land Trust Day After-Party with our friends from Mountain Khakis and live music from Qualian. Stop by between 5:30 and 7pm for hot dogs, cold beer from Brueprint Brewing, and groovy tunes as we celebrate another year of protecting the lands that we love across North Carolina and Virginia.
- Volksmarch! Celebrate National Trails Day with a self-paced walking challenge in Raleigh for all ages and earn the Volksmarch patch! Pick up your passport and map at event locations and visit stamp stations along the Capital Greenway anytime between 9am and 5pm.
- Attend a beaver beauty pagaent! Come out to the 11th Annual Beaver Queen Pageant, a family-friendly, fun, and free community event that is a fundraiser for the Ellerbe Creek Watershed Association. Hit the food trucks, make yourself a tail, and bribe the judges to make sure that your favorite contestant wins.
- Plan to get outside or get involved! Check out TLC's other upcoming events and outings. We've got something for everyone with hikes, plant ID excursions, paddle trips, volunteer opportunities, a forum on ending hunger in Durham, and more!
- Become a TLC member of make a special gift! Now is the perfect time to become a TLC member or make a special gift to support our work because some very generous donors have created a challenge to match all gifts 1:1 by June 30, 2015. Make a tax-deductible gift today to help protect the places you love and the land we need!
Let us know if you take us up on any of these suggestions or if you find your own creative way to celebrate #LandTrustDay! You can follow our celebration on Facebook and Twitter by using the hashtag #LandTrustDay. Who knows, maybe this day will become so popular that it'll need it's own mascot in the future!